Just a few of the brands that use the "Dirty Dozen" skincare ingredients... use any? Reading the blog below could save your life.
The skincare industry is booming, with more and more products being released every day promising to help us look younger, smoother, and more radiant. But while many of these products may seem like a godsend for our skin, they often contain ingredients that can be harmful to our health and the environment.
As we age, our skin becomes more delicate and susceptible to damage from external factors such as pollution, UV radiation, and harsh chemicals. To counteract these effects, many people turn to anti-aging skincare products.
However, not all skincare products are created equal, and some contain ingredients that can actually do more harm than good.
We'll discuss the "Dirty Dozen" ingredients to avoid in anti-aging skincare and provide examples of products that contain them.
- Parabens - Parabens are a group of chemicals used as preservatives in skincare products. However, they have been linked to breast cancer and reproductive issues. Examples of products that contain parabens include Neutrogena Age Shield Face Lotion SPF 110, Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer and Olay complete all day moisturizer.
- Phthalates - Phthalates are chemicals used to make plastics more flexible and are also found in some skincare products. They have been linked to hormone disruption and birth defects. Examples of products that contain phthalates include Avon Anew Ultimate Multi-Performance Day Cream, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion and L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Derm Intensives Night Serum.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - SLS is a harsh detergent used to create foam in many skincare products, including cleansers and shampoos. It can cause skin irritation and dryness. Examples of products that contain SLS include Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel.
- Formaldehyde - Formaldehyde is a carcinogenic chemical used as a preservative in some skincare products. It has been linked to cancer and respiratory issues. Examples of products that contain formaldehyde include Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator, Aveeno Positively Radiant MaxGlow Infusion Drops and Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner.
- Mineral Oil - Mineral oil is a petroleum byproduct commonly used in skincare products as a moisturizing agent. However, it can clog pores and prevent the skin from breathing. Examples of products that contain mineral oil include Nivea Creme and Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair Lotion.
- Propylene Glycol - Propylene glycol is a chemical used as a solvent in some skincare products. It can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Examples of products that contain propylene glycol include Eucerin Daily Hydration Lotion.
- Synthetic Fragrances - Synthetic fragrances are chemicals used to add scent to skincare products. They can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Examples of products that contain synthetic fragrances include Bath and Body Works Twilight Woods Body Lotion, Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex and Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream.
- Hydroquinone - Hydroquinone is a skin-lightening agent used to treat hyperpigmentation. However, it has been linked to cancer and can cause skin irritation. Examples of products that contain hydroquinone include Obagi Nu-Derm Clear.
- Oxybenzone - Oxybenzone is a chemical used in sunscreens to absorb UV radiation. However, it has been linked to hormone disruption and has been found to harm coral reefs. Examples of products that contain oxybenzone include Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Ultra Radiance Sunscreen Lotion, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen and La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Oil Free Sunscreen.
- Talc - Talc is a mineral used in some skincare products as a powder. It has been linked to cancer and respiratory issues when inhaled. Examples of products that contain talc include Johnson's Baby Powder.
- Triclosan - Triclosan is an antibacterial agent used in some skincare products, including soaps and hand sanitizers. It has been linked to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. It can disrupt hormone function and has been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer. Examples of skincare products that contain triclosan include Clean & Clear Morning Burst Facial Cleanser and Dial Antibacterial Hand Soap.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) is a foaming agent that is similar to SLS. It can also strip the skin of its natural oils and cause dryness and irritation. Popular products that contain SLES include La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser and Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Gel Eye Cream.
Unfortunately, many popular beauty products contain these ingredients. Here is a list of popular skincare products that may contain some of the "Dirty Dozen" ingredients:
Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream: This anti-aging moisturizer contains parabens, specifically methylparaben and propylparaben, which are known endocrine disruptors.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture with SPF 15: This daily moisturizer contains methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone, which are known skin irritants and allergens.
L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Derm Intensives Night Serum: This anti-aging serum contains retinyl palmitate, which may increase the risk of skin cancer when exposed to sunlight.
Aveeno Positively Radiant MaxGlow Infusion Drops: This serum contains fragrance, which can be a common skin irritant and allergen.
La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream: This luxury moisturizer contains phenoxyethanol, a preservative that can cause skin irritation.
Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash: This cleanser contains sodium lauryl sulfate, a surfactant that can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause irritation.
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser: This cleanser contains triethanolamine, which can cause skin irritation and has been linked to the formation of nitrosamines, which are potential carcinogens.
The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Skin Clearing Facial Wash: This face wash contains fragrance and can be a common skin irritant and allergen.
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion: This popular moisturizer contains mineral oil, which can clog pores and potentially lead to breakouts.
Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water: This makeup remover contains hexylene glycol, a solvent that can cause skin irritation.
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence: This luxury essence contains butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), a preservative that has been linked to cancer in some studies.
Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Serum: This anti-aging serum contains propylene glycol, a skin irritant that can cause allergic reactions.
Avoid those that contain the "dirty dozen" ingredients. Look for products that are labeled as "paraben-free," "phthalate-free," and "sulfate-free." You can also use the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database to check the safety of your skincare products.
Vilot Skin is a brand that prides itself on using safe and effective ingredients in their anti-aging skincare products. They avoid the use of the "Dirty Dozen" ingredients and instead focus on using natural and organic ingredients that are gentle on the skin but still deliver powerful anti-aging benefits.
One of the key ingredients in Vilot Skin's products is a three part infused essential oil blend, which is a powerful hydrating agent that helps to plump up the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps to improve the skin's texture and tone, leaving it looking smooth and youthful.
Another ingredient that Vilot Skin uses in their products is Gotu kola. It is believed to be rich in various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and magnesium. Gotu kola herb can provide a concentrated source of these vitamins and minerals, making it a popular ingredient in skincare products. Vitamin C, for example, is a powerful antioxidant that can help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, while vitamin A can help stimulate collagen production and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
In addition to these ingredients, Vilot Skin also uses a range of antioxidants and vitamins in their products, including vitamin C and E, which help to protect the skin from environmental damage and reduce the appearance of age spots and other signs of aging.
Overall, the ingredients used in Vilot Skin's anti-aging skincare products are not only safe, but also highly effective.
By using natural and organic ingredients, they are able to deliver powerful anti-aging benefits without exposing the skin to harmful chemicals or toxins. If you are looking for a safe and effective anti-aging skincare brand, Vilot Skin is definitely one to consider.
Don't see your products or brands on here but curious to find out if they are clean or not? Click the link to download the Think Dirty App, you can scan your products and get the full details on its ingredients.